Sunday, November 23, 2008

Where there's a will...

It seems that I am slowly becoming one of those crazed coupon queens.

Yes, I made a Sunday afternoon CVS run. I had to! The Complete contact solution was a $2 money-maker, and I KNEW they wouldn't stock the shelf with enough bottles to last until tomorrow morning!

When I arrived, I immediately headed for the eye care aisle. And was disappointed to see that the Complete section was already COMPLETELY EMPTY. There went that $8.99 towards my $50 total.

I briefly considered turning on my heels in a huff and leaving without making a purchase at all. But then I remembered that my sweet husband made the effort to drive me to CVS. (I have a near-migraine, which may otherwise incapacitate me, but it ain't keeping me from some sweet deals.) I knew he wouldn't be happy if we just left with nothing.

So I decided to try to work a new scenario to get my total up to $50 without going too much in the hole. (As in, having to pay money. Ha!) I got some other things I planned on, picked up a pet bed for Baxter (which I DIDN'T plan on, since they have been out of stock for weeks), and was trying to think of something else to get as "filler". It was then that I had an idea, and headed back to the eye care aisle.

I knew that the spot for Complete was empty, but on a hunch I reached my hand back behind some neighboring products. I smiled, and pulled out a lone box of Complete. Lance looked surprised, but I wasn't. Someone had apparently hidden the last box with the intent to return for it later. Won't they be shocked to see that I outsmarted them?

So here's the transaction I ended up with:
  • 3 3-packs of Dial bar soaps, on sale for $1.99 each, get back $1 ECB each
  • 2 CVS tissues, on sale for $0.99 each
  • 1 12 oz. bottle of Complete, on sale for $8.99, get $8.99 ECB
  • 2 4-packs of rechargeable Energizer batteries, on sale for $10 each; buy $20 worth, get $10 ECB
  • 1 Maybelline Mineral liquid makeup, on sale for $8.99, get $8.99 ECB
  • Pet bed, on sale for $5.99

Total before coupons = $51.92

Coupons used:

  • CVS coupon for $10 off $50 purchase
  • 3 Mfr. coupons for $0.30 off Dial soap
  • CVS coupon for $1 off 2 boxes of CVS brand tissues
  • Printable Mfr. coupon for $2 off Complete
  • 2 Mfr. coupons for $1 off any Energizer batteries

Total after coupons = $36.02

Paid with $35.97 ECBs (My entire stash! I was glad to be able to use that large $15.99 one from last week...), and that left only 5 CENTS plus tax! Lance scrounged up the $0.51 cents, and we walked out with $30.98 in ECBs, plus an extra $5 ECB printed on the receipt, because I took a survey earlier this month. That means I spent only $0.50 on this transaction!

I'm having more fun shopping lately, because I have a specific plan for the extra freebies I'm able to pick up. In fact, it's making me try even harder to get more! I can't wait to hand over the big box of stuff I've collected...I dare say that it will mean more to me on that day than to the recipient. : )

And just in case this post wasn't long enough...Here's Baxter already enjoying his new bed under Daddy's desk (one of his favorite places to be):

1 comment:

Mareydenis said...

You are the QUEEN of CVS , Katy!!!! Love the stories about all your savings. Gotta get back on the bandwagon and get my coupons organized over the Thanksgiving break.

Hmm, wonder what's on sale this week. I have $10 in ECBs coming my way.

Super big hugs!!!
Denise